[reportlab-users] Development practices

William Dode reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Mon, 03 May 2004 13:54:33 +0200

"Andy Robinson" <andy@reportlab.com> writes:

>> Just to know, why did you choose subversion instead of arch for example
>
> I didn't know arch existed until a week ago, but I know lots of people
> who says Subversion works great, and have never (knowingly) met an arch
> user.
> I also found this review.
>     http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/scm.html
>
> If I combine the statements "all the smarts are on the client" and
> "Don't expect to have a full-blown arch on your Microsoft computer",
> it scares me.  We all use Windows desktops for development and
> Unix-like OSs on servers.

I understand and don't know the current status of arch for windows.

> The really fundamental, big, big win with Apache/Webdav/Subversion
> is that I can use Apache authentication, and collaborate with groups
> of corporate customers behind firewalls to publish updates to them
> while maintaining appropriate security; and likewise let any
> volunteer in the user group have write access to reportlab/docs
> pretty easily.

For what i understand, with arch you don't need to give write access to
external groups, they make their own branch alone, and it's up to the
manager to read them (or not) when he want to take their patchs. So,
everybody can work on the project, security is not in the same place.

With internal and confident developers it works in centralized manner
where everybody have read and write access, like cvs.

But maybe it's to early (or to late !) to studdy theses two ways
deeply...

Thanks for theses littles off-topic messages :-)

--
William Dode