[reportlab-users] Development practices

Andy Robinson reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Sun, 2 May 2004 11:25:06 +0100

> Just to know, why did you choose subversion instead of arch for example

I didn't know arch existed until a week ago, but I know lots of people
who says Subversion works great, and have never (knowingly) met an arch
user.
I also found this review.
    http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/scm.html

If I combine the statements "all the smarts are on the client" and
"Don't expect to have a full-blown arch on your Microsoft computer",
it scares me.  We all use Windows desktops for development and
Unix-like OSs on servers.

The really fundamental, big, big win with Apache/Webdav/Subversion
is that I can use Apache authentication, and collaborate with groups
of corporate customers behind firewalls to publish updates to them
while maintaining appropriate security; and likewise let any
volunteer in the user group have write access to reportlab/docs
pretty easily.

Thanks,

Andy