[reportlab-users] convert html to pdf

Tim Roberts reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 09:59:24 -0800

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 07:43:15 -0000, "Andy Robinson" <andy@reportlab.com>
wrote:

>How do you do the Wysiwyg text area?  I have seen ActiveX controls
>which do this, but did not know there was a cross-platform way to
>do it...

That's a very clever solution.  They have a hidden <textarea> that
contains a complete HTML description of the text, and a visible <iframe>
that pulls its source from that textarea.  The buttons, then, trigger
JavaScript handlers that manipulate the contents of the <textarea>

Very clever.  It wouldn't work on Netscape 4, which didn't support
inline frames, but there are other ways to do the same thing.  It looks
like they might do some browser-sniffing at the server end, so maybe
they're handling that, too.

I'm going to salt that away in my bag of tricks.

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.