[reportlab-users] Text flow around image

Andy Robinson reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Sun, 21 Mar 2004 22:07:01 -0000

> Hi, I'm new to reportlab and I'm tring to layout something similar to a
> newspaper.
> What I need is to have 4/5 frames with multi column text, and I achieved
> that, but sometimes one or more images could be put in the page and I want
> any text flow around the image not over.
> I cannot use illustration inside story because I need to position
> the image
> with precision.

We can't wrap around objects yet properly

If you know the image position, make several smaller frames
which don't overlap with it (wide one above (1), narrow one next
to it (2), wide one below it (3) like this.

 1111111111111111111111
 1111111111111111111111
 1111111111111111111111
 imageimage 22222222222
 imageimage 22222222222
 imageimage 22222222222
 imageimage 22222222222
 3333333333333333333333
 3333333333333333333333
 3333333333333333333333

I realize this is a pain in the a***.  Another slightly
easier hack is to use the 'ParagraphAndImage' flowable
Robin mentioned, but you still need to do some work to
set up your story properly.

- Andy