[reportlab-users] pythonpoint and japanese

Bogdan M. Maryniuck reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 12:12:39 +0300

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 02:04:50AM -0600, Manic Miner wrote:
>  Hi everyone,
> While reportlab seems to handle just fine a lot of ttf fonts and encodings,
> including UTF-8, I can't for the life of me persuade it to generate something in
> Japanese or Chinese. Everything works just fine for Russian, Greek, Hebrew, all
> Latin encodings, yet when it comes to Asian fonts, it either generates just some
> empty squares instead of letters, or gives an error when importing the ttf file
> (eg. pdfmetrics.registerFont(TTFont('Gothic','msgothic.ttf')) ):
>   File "d:\devel\python\reportlab\pdfbase\ttfonts.py", line 489, in extractInfo
>     raise TTFError, "Could not find PostScript font name"
> I have tried maybe 40 fonts by now (MS Mincho, Gothic, Arial-uni, Code2001,
> Dameji...) with no luck.. so any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Arial-uni?! I had never tried it since ReportLab takes forewer while parsing
TrueType ArialUni (over 25M file size).

On the other hand font should contain Japanese symbols. I still have the
same problem and can produce no Japanese PDF with TrueType because all
fonts I found are PostScript and ReportLab does not support them. :(

--
暮

Your job is being a professor and researcher: That's one hell of a good excuse
for some of the brain-damages of minix.
(Linus Torvalds to Andrew Tanenbaum)