[reportlab-users] Ligatures & page count

Mark Summerfield reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 15:39:28 +0100

Hi,

I've just started trying out ReportLab to see if I can use it for
various projects, but I have a few questions.

1) Does ReportLab support ligatures? I'm using the WinAnsiEncoding
(since I'm on Linux and that seems to be the recommended encoding), but
I can't see the fl and fi ligatures (Figure A-32 pg 46 of the user
guide), so I can't do a straight string replacement.

2) Is it possible to ascertain the number of pages _before_ the PDF is
produced? In some situations I want to have page numbering like this:
    Page X of Y

3) Is the paragraph layout algorithm one that provides optimal
inter-word spacing like the one Knut uses in LaTex (and Jeff Kingston
uses in lout)?

4) Is there any auto-hyphenation?

5) When I use a textObject it always left aligns; is there a way of
controlling its alignment? (There's drawCentredString() etc., but only
one drawText().)

I'm using Python 2.3 and ReportLab 1.19.

Thanks.

--
Mark.