[reportlab-users] reportlab userguide.pdf

Andy Robinson reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:38:28 -0000

> > 5. cd to reportlab/test and execute test_pdfgen_general.py,
> which will create a
> file 'test_pdfgen_general.pdf'.
>
> This doesn't work - it cannot import the required modules.

I suspect there is something wrong with your Python installation.
This works fine for us.  If you cannot execute "import reportlab"
then you've failed almst certainly failed to place the 'reportlab'
folder inside the archive onto your Python path.

If you can do "import reportlab" and the test still fails,
send us the traceback.

> > If you have any problems, check the 'Detailed Instructions'
> section below.
>
> There is no 'Detailed Instructions' section below.

You're right, arguably it should be amended to say "check the relevant
'Instructions for Novices' section for your platform below".  I still
think it's a reasonable set of installation instructions given
the price we charge for it though :-)

> What's the really correct way to install this?

The 'official' way to install things is: unzip the archive where
you would like it to live, compile  the code explicitly if you wish,
and make sure the 'reportlab' folder is on your path so 'import
reportlab' works.

I hope this helps.  We're in the same time zone so if you've tried
the obvious steps and would like help on the phone getting an installation
working, you could also call us on 020 8544 8049

Andy Robinson
CEO/Chief Architect
ReportLab Europe Ltd.