[reportlab-users] A riddle...

Dinu Gherman reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:33:54 +0200

amaury.forgeotdarc@ubitrade.com:

> So there must be differences in the PDF layout between 1.17 and 1.18.
> Is it a simple shift? A change in margins or in scale?

Amoury, onze points! ;-) It's actually the partial result of a run of
the RLTK testsuite, under both 1.17 and 1.18, after first converting
all PDF output test files to bitmaps, then pixel-comparing respective
files for both versions and generating one PNG for every page having
at least one different pixel. The resolution is freely configurable,
of course. This is really nice for testing and it takes only a few
minutes!

The setup for automatically fetching and installing RL, then running
its respective test suite was almost as interesting as doing the com-
parison itself. I think older versions of the toolkit will not install
as easily without distutils, but well, one more challenge...

Another interesting test setup would be to take some RL code creating
a PDF document and compare output using different versions of the RL
toolkit. And, of course, there is the obvious test of comparing the
output for more than one version of your own code, which is something
like the trivial application of this.

Back to other stuff on my todo list...

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman
"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." (Oscar Wilde)