[reportlab-users] cgi-problem with reportlab

Tim Roberts reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:47:56 -0700

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:10:57 +0200, "Christoph Zwerschke" <zwerschke@zuv.uni-
heidelberg.de> wrote:

>> Also note that if you do not fill in a field, the field name will not
>> appear in the FieldStorage object at all.  That's a common error.
>
>I've already reported that bug together with a patch on January 2001:
>http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=508665&group_id=
5470
&atid=305470
>But it has still not made its way into the official Python release.
>Another problem is that this bug was also copied in other software, for
>instance Webware for Python copied parts of the cgi.py module including the
>bug.

It is not accurate to characterize this as a bug.  Say I have this HTML:

  <form>
   <input type=text name=One>
  </form>

If I don't fill in the "One" field, it won't appear in FieldStorage by
default.  If I create FieldStorage with keep_blank_values=1, then it WILL
appear, with a blank value.  That's all well-defined and operating as
specified.

Your bug report refers to a couple of special cases of manual query string
generation that cannot occur with forms.

But, as you say, this is veering a ways off-topic...

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.