[reportlab-users] Voice in the wilderness (was : Widget Libraries, anywhere?)

Ian Sparks reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:40:15 -0400

Dinu's original complaint was that there don't seem to be a lot of =
(any?) 3rd party widgets available for ReportLab despite RL being quite =
widely used.

If the fundamental question is : Why arn't there more 3rd party widgets? =
"Lets build a website" is not an answer, its just changing the subject =
so we can talk about things we feel more comfortable with, like the =
relative merits of SF vs Wiki's.

I'm not trying to rain on the parade here but I think that there isn't a =
market for 3rd party Widgets because there isn't a sufficient *demand* =
for 3rd party widgets - ReportLab is too complete and makes it too easy =
to "just do it" and move on.

I think a website would help if the RL newsgroup was drowning in =
contributions and we needed a way to categorize and organize them but it =
doesn't look that way to me.=20

If contributions were water we'd be dying of thirst. We intend to solve =
this by making a bucket?=20

I can't decide if I'm a dry, old, cynical, git or if I'm the voice of =
reason. Maybe both.