[reportlab-users] Reportlab News

Andy Robinson reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 14:24:12 +0100

> What about this link, which also relates to the other ongoing
> thread about contributed material, and which seems to have en-
> tirely disappeared?
>
>    http://www.reportlab.com/extensions.html

You are right, it has disappeared.  There was only one
extension anyway, which can still be found in the FTP area
under www.reportlab.org/ftp/extensions

reportlab.org is a new site on a new server, with everything
built from CVS according to a rational scheme, and
incidentally all in XHTML so we can validate it and
check for broken links easily.   There was no intent
to provide a migration path.  I have never heard of a company
launching a new site which bothered to try to figure out
the best redirect for each old URL that existed, and
I certainly would not add a man-month or more of resources
to this.  It just is not important enough.  sorry.

If you find a broken ling called 'extensions' on our
main menu, that's a bug.  If you find that there is no
information about a specific thing which used to be there,
that's a fair request and the maintainer will try to
get to it in due course.  That's the best we can do, sorry :-)

Setting up some kind of commnity CMS and a process by which
people can contribute is MUCH more important.  The site move
was an essential prerequisite to this, as we would not
have dared do the latter on the main "corporate" site or
without a site test framework.

- Andy