[reportlab-users] tag handling in paragraphs.

Christoph Zwerschke reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Fri, 30 May 2003 11:19:54 +0200

> As mentioned in a previous posting,
> the Paragraph class expects all markup tags to be lower case.

Actually there is nothing wrong with it, since the markup is understood as
XML (XHTML) markup, and XML (XHTML) is case sensitive; and XHTML uses
lowercase tags.

But if you make it optional and the performance does not suffer, I think it
could be helpful anyway to handle old HTML code.

> and attrName.lower() != attrName and if self.caseInsensitive.
> If so, it returns eval(attrName.lower())

The check "attrName.lower() != attrName" is witless here.

> I tried German Umlaute (ä etc. in HTML).

Just want to mention that the named entity ä would not work anyway, you
can only write ä. (However, I understand that in your case you have the
additional problem of a TrueType font, where the problem is the Umlaut
itself, not the kind of markup).

Robin, did you contemplate making the suggested additions for providing
named entities for Latin-1 characters (such as ä)?

Christoph