[reportlab-users] fonts.py & RegisterFonts

Alessandro Praduroux reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Fri, 30 May 2003 09:13:42 +0200

On 09:05, venerd=EC 30 maggio 2003, Andy Robinson wrote:
> Ian Sparks said:
> > As Marc Stober identified in a recent post you can't register some fonts
> > with registerFont() because fonts.py identifies a whole set of
> > font-names that are supposedly "registered" which in fact are not part
> > of the standard PDF set.
> >
> > At the end of this message is the guilty dictionary in fonts.py which is
> > the reason Marc can't register his 'verdana' font and I can't register
> > an 'Arial' font. For now I'm working round it by registering my font as
> > 'XArial' (yuk).
> >
> > Still, there must be a reason for this stuff in here...
>
> Wow, I didn't know that had crept in and am not happy about
> it.  The 'standard 14' postscript fonts are there for
> a reason, but we should never have coded reference to
> truetype fonts.
>
> Will anything break for anyone if it is just removed?
> This stuff should really be part of some per-user
> font mapping file.

I vote for removing the mapping (I am forced to do it on my scripts when us=
ing=20
MS fonts),  and also for removing (or at least make them optional) the call=
s=20
to addMappings in registerTypeFace (in  pdfbase/pdfmetrics), that prevent m=
e=20
to register a font with all the mappings myself when I know what I am doing=
=2E=20

And I believe most of the RL programmers know what they are doing when usin=
g=20
non standard fonts...