[reportlab-users] making logarithmic plots

Christopher N. Deckard reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 14:44:46 -0500

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 09:06:07 +0000, Robin Becker spoke forth:

> In article <002401c2eacd$1d6b9420$a2ec933e@allalswqm99ewu>, pascal
> barbedor <pascalbarbedor@free.fr> writes
> >the logarithmic plot of data is like the plot of log(data)
> >
> >or is it morecomplicated than that ?
> I think most agree that the axis scaling is logarithmic. I think
> the ide is that y=x**k has a slope of k when logs are taken, but
> that people are interested in the original variable magnitudes. So
> for example if I have log10 values 1 2 3 4 5 the scientist wants
> to see the linear relation, but also needs to know that the
> original values were around 10, 100, 1000 etc. At present we don't
> have a log axis, but that would be a useful contribution.

Where should I start looking in the code for adding such a thing?

If possible, I may use some code from an existing project, provided
licenses end up being all happy.  The Ptolemy project has log
scaling.  It's all based on Java though.  I was using it, but Java,
quite frankly, sucks and reportlab is a lot easier to use.  :-)

-Chris