[reportlab-users] ReportLab Developer Network - RFC

Dinu Gherman reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:03:29 +0100

Andy Robinson:

> Hi everyone.  I'd like some feedback on an important
> idea regarding our commercial software which I hope
> will interest several people in this group.  It is
> just an idea at this stage.

All this sounds great to me and I'm very much in favour of the
general ideas! Hopefully some more contributions will be receiv-
ed from people who want to avoid the yearly membership fee.

I believe such a "developer network" must also be administrated
and supported by some human resource as well. Despite the res-
pectable efforts under the past given circumstances I feel that
fleshing out a special role and/or position would be highly be-
neficial to make really good use of even existing resources.
I only remind you of the way that the SourceForge trackers are
used, or rather not used.

If I remember correctly one of my very first questions on this
list was about a product/development roadmap and I still believe
this would increase interest and willingness in contributing,
probably more so, if people can reduce their membership fees.
Someone could say, ok I need hyphenation, so I'll add it and get
away with using the rest for free. Of course, this will introduce
interesting new aspects of versioning. (BTW, I've started using
Subversion and it's *very* neat!)

Let's hope the administration burden will be insignificant enough
to make all this happen!

Regards,

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm