[reportlab-users] PDF Generation performance

Chuck Bass reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 09:23:56 -0800 (PST)

I am having a similar issue with a much smaller document.  I have used reportlabs code
create test reports that span a handfull of pages with tabular results and graphical
representation of the results using PIL generated images. Very little if anything
spans pages.  These reports take a second or two to generate.

Yesterday I threw together a calendar program to make some xmas gifts.  I found that a
12 page document each with 1/2 image and 1/2 5week table takes 30 seconds to render.
The images are all JPEGs and about 500K but there is nothing fancy going on.
Each page is a template so there are no breaks.  All of the code before the .build call
takes less than a second to execute.

I have noticed that the generated printer file is about 100meg!  My machine is a 2.4GHz with
512 megs of RAM so it's not a slouch.  Is it possible that there is some copying going on
that makes life tough as the document size goes up?  Perhaps it forces the machine to start
paging?

Great work on reportlabs, I hope to never make an HTML based report again!

Chuck