[reportlab-users] Canvas to SVG converter would be cool.

Dinu Gherman reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 15:11:00 +0200

Jeff Kowalczyk:

> Wow, since we've got all kinds of activity on alternative canvases
> these
> days, would one that rendered a PDF page (if only a simple one) to SVG
> be
> possible? It would be useful for dual-purpose print/screen
> functionality in
> programs, such as an in-browser print preview before downloading, or a
> slideshow presentation programs that could format for the
> screen/browser and
> generate PDF with the same or similar code.
>
> Just a thought, I presume any kind of wrapping text block in SVG will
> be
> challenging.

Possible, yes, but also challenging. I can imagine nice uses for
creating SVG directly from PythonPoint, but for regular documents
that somebody wants to read I thing SVG is the wrong format.

If there was a PDF canvas to ReportLab Graphics converter you
could already run renderSVG over it and you'd only need some
plumbing to navigate bewteen the SVG pages.

Anybody feeling challenged? ;-)

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that His