[reportlab-users] RE: Fixed frames / Page layout question

Marc Stober reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 15:24:16 -0400

I'm new to reportlab as well, and I've just been working on something
similar.

The approach I'm taking is to derive a new class from the PageTemplate
class, and in the beforePageDraw method, "manually" draw the fixed items
(paragraphs, lines, etc.) on the page. Note that "beforePageDraw" seems to
be the actual name of this method, not "beforPage" as indicated in the User
Guide.

Then, there is a special flowable NextPageTemplate that lets you specify to
use a particular page template when you get to a particular place in the
data.

Where I'm stuck is that, in my application, I need certain types of pages to
format their content in a certain way. Not just in different frames, but
perhaps in bulleted list, as a table, or even as a chart. I'm trying to do
this with custom methods of my (derived) page template class that take the
raw data and pass a list of flowables back to the document template, however
this seems less than ideal. Is there some better way to express, "for the
nth section of the document, use this page template, and this data"?

Hope you find this useful,
Marc