[reportlab-users] Right-to-Left languages

Ury Marshak reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 22:11:48 +0200

Andy Robinson wrote:

> To my way of thinking the template classes are not 'the document'.
> They are, literally, templates used to display the document. The
> story itself - the list of paragraphs and tables - is closest to
> your sense of 'document'.  Our only model for it now is a
> "list of paragraphs".

Now that you've explained this it seems obvious ;) I only guess that
having the story as an object of some 'Document' class (inheriting
from list) as was suggested, would've helped to get the logic
straight

> How about calling a function
>      setTextDirection(story, 'RTL')
> which just walked through all paragraphs, nested tables etc. setting it
> on the objects to which it applied?

Wouldn't it need to know about all the classes that are containers and
about their internal structure. If I didn't miss something, at the moment
only tables are containers, but there could be others in the future.
(although I'm unable to come up with a use case right now, so maybe
there is just no need for other containers ;)

> I AM off to bed no, honest.  Don't start reworking any patches, let's
> look at what's there first and continue this tomorrow.

BTW the current paragraph implementation calls out to outside functions
to do the string drawing which makes it hard to override them in a
subclass. Is there a reason they cannot be moved to become class
methods?

Ury