[reportlab-users] Anyone understand distutils

Jerome Alet reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:13:36 +0200

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 05:18:15PM +0100, Andy Robinson wrote:
> > Debian packages too AFAIK.
>
> I'm also curious - do these other utilities allow
> any interactivity?  Like "I see you already have X,
> shall I upgrade/overwrite it"?

For Debian packages the answer is YES.

The PostgreSQL install script for example dumps your old databases
to a file and displays the dump to the screen, asks you if you're OK,
and if YES, then installs the new version and restores the datas.

Most Debian install scripts also allow you to see a diff of two
different config files (your old one, and the packaged one) before
you decide if you want to keep the old one or install the new one.

Maybe the Debian RL packager could tell more, since I'm not a Debian
developper.

hth

Jerome Alet