[reportlab-users] PDF Form-Filling Layer

Dinu Gherman reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Fri, 24 May 2002 10:02:04 +0200 (CEST)

Jeff Kowalczyk <jtk@adelphia.net>:

> I realize that this is a recent and not-completely-standardized
> addition to PDF, and even FOP doesn't have the funtionality main-
> streamed into the main API yet. However, I do want to assess the
> prospects of support rudimentary textbox and checkbox form-filling
> in Reportlab. Dinu mentioned that it seemed to be not too dissimi-
> lar to the annotation layer.

As Andy said, PageCatcher sort of does very similar things already
and without FDF. My own user experience with FDF is pretty mixed
and I'm not convinced, yet, it's really well supported on the same
level across multiple platforms.

While PageCatcher is considered a server product with a non-neglec-
table prize tag, you might be interested to hear about emerging
efforts on GUIs which should give you conveniant desktop front-
ends plus very affordable prize tags. If you can get your hands on
a Mac OS X box, I can point you to a prototype right-away:

  http://me.in-berlin.de/~darwin/Papaguino.tar.gz

Regards,

Dinu