[reportlab-users] page x of y using DocTemplate

Andy Robinson reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Fri, 10 May 2002 20:40:53 +0100

> I am trying to figure out how I can use a form to draw "Page x of y"
> with y being the last page drawn.  I understand how to create the form,
> and how to use the forward declaration, but I can't figure out how to
> tell when I'm on the last page of the document so I can use that page
> number as y.  Is there anything inside of the DocTemplate that will tell
> me when I'm on the last page?  Or any other way to get this
> information.  Once I call doc.build() the form must be created, but the
> pages haven't been generated yet.  Anybody have a suggestion?

In our RML product (which is basically platypus translated into XML tags)
what we usually do is make the form declaration the very last thing
in the 'story' part of the document.  So it gets the page number just
once (using a tag we provide).   In Platypus you would need to put some
custom flowable class at the end of the story which, when drawn, did not
actually draw anything or consume space, but asked the canvas for the page
number and then created a tiny little form with 'y' in it.

Let me know if that makes sense!  My brain is kind of fried from
a heavy week and I'm sure I could have worded it better :-)

Best Regards,

Andy Robinson