[reportlab-users] Using the XMLmind editor for Pythonpoint presentations

H. Turgut Uyar reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:15:36 +0200

Hello,

I have found that it is fairly easy to use the XMLmind XML editor to
prepare Pythonpoint presentations. Now I can create new presentations or
edit existing ones where almost all elements will be displayed in a
nearly-wysiwyg fashion. The editor also checks for validity of the
document. Since other people also expressed a similar need I decided to
share my solution. Here's how to use it:

1- Install the XMLmind XML editor. You can download the standard edition
for free
    from http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/. (I am using the 2.0patch1
version for
    Windows).
2- Get the file http://www.cs.itu.edu.tr/~uyar/ppoint/pythonpoint.zip
and extract it to
    the folder c:\program files\xmlmind_xml_editor\config (haven't
tested on linux yet).
    This will overwrite the config.xml file and create a pythonpoint
directory.
3- Start up the editor and use 'New' or 'Open'. You might need to read
the editor's
    tutorials to get accustomed to it.

Most elements will be displayed correctly and if an element cannot be
displayed (such as lines, rectangles etc.) you will see gray boxes where
you can edit their attributes. The only problem is with table, prefmt
and pycode elements: I could not get the editor to preserve white space
when saving the file.

I would be happy to hear your comments and suggestions. Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

As a final note, I had to change the pythonpoint dtd a little. I added
effect attributes to para, table, image and shape elements. And I had to
change the following line because the xmlmind editor claimed it was
incorrect:

old line:
    <!ELEMENT notes para+>
new line:
    <!ELEMENT notes (para+)>

I'm not sure what I'm doing here, I was just trying to get rid of the
error :-) I named the new dtd as version 0.1g to get the editor reload
it. This version of the dtd can be downloaded from
http://www.cs.itu.edu.tr/~uyar/ppoint/pythonpoint.dtd.

-- Turgut Uyar