[reportlab-users] pyRXP vs ONIX DTD

Thu, 5 Dec 2002 10:25:59 +0000

In article <20021205095951.GA26876@codeworks.lt>, Marius Gedminas
<marius@codeworks.lt> writes
>It's been some time since I last read XML specs, so I could be very
>wrong, but I seem to remember that XML is basically inseparable from
>Unicode.
>
>HTH,
>Marius Gedminas
You're probably right, but that's why we have utf-8 ie an 8 bit
encoding. The right thing to do is to switch this to 16 bit or perhaps
32 bit or 64 bit, handle all known BOM's and then watch paint dry. Eight
bit encodings were always sufficient, but modernists want to use up all
their new computing power :).

pyRXP is open source so anybody could try and switch it to 16 bit. I
won't be doing that immediately unless Andy says so. I've not looked too
deeply at RXP recently so I can't say what would be the likely impact on
the interface ie would we want to provide Parser8/Parser16 etc and
attempt to have multiple versions of RXP available.