NACR Daily Meditation for Saturday, Jul 19, 2003

replytodailymed@nacronline.com replytodailymed@nacronline.com
19 Jul 2003 07:00:02 -0000

NACR Daily Meditation for Saturday, Jul 19, 2003

I will remember the deeds of the Lord;
yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.
I will meditate on all your works
and consider all your mighty deeds.

Psalm 77:11-12

Sometimes hope fails us because of the pain of present circumstances.
 The intensity of the daily struggle can overwhelm us and crowd out hope
for the future. We find ourselves unable to focus on a hope-full future
because we cannot see beyond the burdens of the present. But we need hope
in order to continue the journey. Without it we cannot go on. Without
hope there is only the despair that comes when we think nothing will ever
change.

Reviewing our experiences of God's help in the past is one way of nurturing
hope. When present events crowd out hope, leaving despair and fear, we
can turn to the disciplines of remembering. It can sustain our faith and
renew our determination to continue the journey.

Remembering is not an easy discipline for us. Our memory is not good.
 Even miracles seem to age quickly - they become 'miracles of long ago'.
 Things that seemed unimaginably wonderful at the time can quickly fade
in our memory as present concerns demand our attention. Dramatic breakthroughs
in recovery that seemed to be powerful signs of God's grace and presence
may seem painfully ordinary after a few months. For this reason it may
be necessary to find someone to help us with the discipline of remembering.
 Hope can often be renewed by asking a trusted friend to remind us where
we have been. An objective review of the journey to this point helps us
see God's sustaining grace in our lives. And that gives us the hope to go
on.

Lord, help me to remember the specific ways
you have sustained me in the past.
Help me to remember how I have changed.
Help me to remember your love and grace
so that I can grow in my capacity for hope today.
Amen.

Copyright 1991 Dale and Juanita Ryan

ROOTED IN GOD'S LOVE (the book from which these meditations are taken, is back in print! To order call our office at 714-529-6227 ext 111 or order online at

http://www.nacronline.com/dox/store/dox/nacrbooks.htm