[DogParkList] DCU-1 Pathfinder

Steve Hellyer va3sph at mac.com
Sat Mar 28 20:03:23 EDT 2009

Hi Tom,

Yes it's impossible to find serial port on computer these days. My
hope is that this will trigger new radio with USB. Will not miss
serial troubleshooting. :-)
Til then I like the Keyspan (now Tripp Lite) as they have some good
drivers in my experience.
http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=518&txtModelID=3914

But there are many others getting good reports....

Other serial adaptors come by many names. Some of the online sellers
of cables identify the chipset. One to also look for is FTDI chipset.
http://www.liquidware.com/shop/show/FTDI/FTDI+USB-+Serial+adapter+cable
http://www.tronisoft.com/2455.php

FTDI Drivers for various OSes including Mac OS X can be found here. http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Another chip maker is Prolific. Driver found here... http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31
(Not sure how good they are as have not tried Prolific.)

If you have need to control a number of serial devices Rotor, Radio1,
Radio2, etc... Multiport serial adaptor are also available.
One usb connection to 4 or more RS-232 serial ports.

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=518&txtModelID=3916
http://www.usbgear.com/USBG-4FTDI-B.html

Spoiled for choice. They key seem to be good software drivers as poor
drivers can make your computer unstable or at the very least drive you
nuts troubleshooting.

73
Steve-VA3SPH