[DogParkList] Odd issue with MLDX 5.03

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Sun Mar 22 09:57:30 EDT 2009

On 22-Mar-09, at 9:50 AM, Larry West wrote:

> MLDX 5.03 has been, by and large, working fine for me since I

> upgraded a short time ago. But I have been seeing some odd "lockups".

> Essentially what happens is MLDX will be the foreground app, and for

> no apparent reason, I get the "spinning beach ball of death", and

> MLDX is largely unresponsive.

I have seen that happen when the call sign server is slow but it
recovers shortly or times out.

> I can switch to other apps, and all seems to be working. I can even

> switch back to MLDX, and the window comes to the foreground, but I

> cannot do anything with it. Tuning the rig does not change the

> frequency display in MLDX. Dis- and re- connecting the USB II from

> the USB bus does not do anything.

It will lock up the USB driver if you disconnect while MLDX is
communicating over it.

> Sometimes MLDX will run for hours, sometimes, for only a brief

> period before locking up. The closest thing I can come with as to a

> cause is the lockup seems to mostly happen while I'm absent-mindedly

> tuning the rig using the tuning knob on the rig. But I'm not exactly

> 100% on that. Of course, it seems to only lock up when I need to log

> a contact!

You don't mention what rig, but if it is an Icom, try turning off
Transceive mode in the radio menus.

> I have tried to force-quit MLDX, but that does not quite get rid of

> everything. The app window goes away, but the icon in the dock still

> shows the "active" glowing thingy below the icon. I can't relaunch

> MLDX, and I cannot restart or shut down, except with the power

> button on my MBP.

> I've tried the force-quit from the dock, and from Activity Monitor,

> and same result.

> System here is a 2.33 Ghz 15" MBP, 3Gig ram, Apple Cinema 20" ADC

> display, Apple Bluetooth keyboard & Mighty Mouse, Mac OS X 10.5.6

> I often run with MLDX, Mail.app, Safari, Acrobat Pro, and time

> Machine all active.

> Rig is an IC-7000, connected to the MBP via µHam USB II, and audio

> connected (for digital modes) via original iMic.

> I thought I spotted in another thread that there is a log I can send

> or look at, but I can't seem to locate the thread...

It's in the FAQ:

<http://dogparksoftware.com/mldxfc_faq.html>

73 Don Agro VE3VRW