[DogParkList] Notes from the Skunkworks

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Thu Jan 8 13:11:07 EST 2009

Hi Chris,

On 8-Jan-09, at 11:49 AM, EZ Rhino wrote:

> Don, it looks nice. Will we still be able to change the window

> color, etc. in the DXclusters panel?

Umm, I'm not sure that is important to most people. I was thinking it
should look more like a Mac cocoa list.

> As far as contest data entry panel goes, here's a quick list of

> exchange fields that I've seen in the past: Call, SRX, STX, state/

> county, county (state QSO parties), name, power level, year of

> license, and zone # are all things I've seen.

Thanks, I have add them to the list.

> It might be nice to be able to move the order of the fields around,

> i.e., for a certain contest put the fields you use at the top/front

> so you don't have to tab through ten fields to get to the last one

> you need. If I assume correctly, your intent isn't to make this into

> a full blown contest logger,

Correct, Contesters are an important part of the MacLoggerDX customer
base but they account for just under 10% based on dogpark list vs
MacLoggerDX Contest list subscriptions.

> which is fine, while still keeping some basic functionality for

> casual contesters. Right?

Correct.

> Therefore, features like score computation, bandmaps, etc. are

> beyond the scope. The dupe checker is vital of course, and the

> current version does a pretty good job with it.

Yes the only major difference in the first release will be the
alternate Contest data entry panel.

> You may want to consider a simple run rate display and/or Q rate and

> a total number of Q's since the contest began.

This could be done as long as it is not contest specific.

> Another really nice add on would be a voice keyer and regular memory

> keyer. The current version *sort of* does this, but as I recall (I'm

> at work and don't have it in front of me) it isn't implemented so it

> can be used conveniently for use in quick succession (too many

> mouseclicks, no assignment to function keys, etc.)

> A way to keep track of multipliers would be real nice; a list of

> states and/or DX entities worked since the contest began would be

> helpful.

> It may be too late for the following, but what the hey:

> 1) Seeing the DX cluster tab and the log tab at the same time.

> 2) LOTW support; automatic uploading and (more importantly) auto

> downloading from the LOTW server and auto updating of the log. This

> is my

> number 1 upgrade item/gripe with current version.

> 3) DX cluster text is really small. Same with the log text.

> Custom

> sizing would be really nice. (your new screenshots look larger).

Thanks or your input.

73 Don Agro VE3VRW