[DogParkList] [macloggerdx] Notes from the Skunkworks

David Ferrington, M0XDF M0XDF at Alphadene.co.uk
Thu Jan 8 11:58:25 EST 2009

On 8 Jan 2009, at 16:30, Don Agro wrote:

>> One thing I'd like to mention early is support for two receivers -

>> as in the K3, a number of rigs have that now and you can bet more

>> will - maybe A/B is effectively that?

> The down side of that is that I spend 90% of my time helping users

> connect ONE rig :)

Yes I understand, it's one rig, but two receivers in it - hence
perhaps the VFO bit will work (I'll know later this month I hope to
get the other receiver into my K3)

>> The other thing is tear-off panels or some way to display, cluster,

>> map and log side by side - yes I know Don, only MS do that stuff!

> Yah, not too crazy about that one.

Yes I know, but being able to see log, map and cluster on same screen
in one go would be very nice

>> ON Contest, I like the way Minos (http://minos.berlios.de) does

>> this, allows me to fill in fields as the info becomes available and

>> return tabs between fields (as does tab) that are empty and then

>> logs if all required info for given contest is complete (whereas

>> tab just goes around and around) - that does require it to hav e

>> some form of Contest definition - so guess being able to define

>> what is required for a contest would be nice.

> I'm just looking for a list of fields - The DX Panel will be as you

> see it in the screen shot, the alternate Contest Panel will have

> only those fields usefull for contesting and you can tab around as

> well as clear all etc.

> Cab-Converter will be configured for the contest - not MacLoggerDX.

the problem there is you end up with a number of fields that may not
be used for that particular contest and you have to tab across an
unused field. I've seen a couple of posts from people requesting more
fields for some contests, so we could end up with quite a few. Unless
there is some easy way to indicate a field isn't required for this
contest, we could be skipping over 3 or 4.

One way would be a very small icon next to a field, that could be
clicked to indicate it should be removed from the tab order - that
way, you could still get to it with a mouse click, but tabbing would
skip over it.
However, the user would then have to set that up for each contest.

I wonder if there could be a section in preferences that allows a user
to define a group of fields that are not in the tab order and to give
that group a name. And be able to maintain multiple groups.
Then for something like RSGB UKAC which wants callsign, time, TX
report, TX serial, TX locator, RX report, RX serial, RX locator -
other fields can be skipped.
Another RSGB contest only wants an exchange of callsign, time, report
and serial, so the locator field (I use srx for that) can be skipped.