[DogParkList] Re: duplicate - flashing MLDX

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Fri Sep 30 00:55:27 EDT 2005

Hi Chuck,

On 30-Sep-05, at 12:29 AM, Chuck Gould wrote:

> As mentioned in earlier email - I did say obviously, a lot of
> commercial s/w doesn't need to hold to that standard (and doesn't).
> But, it is still a standard held in industry (not military).
> Factory automation software is one example. Anyway, I was just
> using it as an example that "flashing" is an attention getter which
> should reserved for critical notifications.

Nonsense - the dot separators on the digital clock in my Mac menu bar
flash - nothing critical about that.

The dots in the MLDX UTC time display have flashed since day one -
and no one has yet called them 'mission critical'.

> But - once I've noticed it's a dup, I don't need it to be flashing
> anymore. I have it [MLDX] sitting there with K7C in the call input
> box for possibly HOURS ready to log a fleeting contact. I don't
> think that's unreasonable (having a call pre-entered while
> attempting a contact).

That just doesn't jive with normal DXCluster activity. Calls are
replaced every few minutes - or even seconds. It is VERY rare to have
a call sitting there for hours.

> This "dup" flag is even MORE noticeable now that it's RED, as
> opposed to when it was just gray/black (I know, that was probably
> your intention...)

No the flashing tab was eating up CPU cycles and was hard to activate
between flashes. This is an improvement - that's why I took the time
to implement it.

> It just doesn't seem to be that "mission critical" to have a dup,

Where are you getting this mission critical stuff ? I'm sorry Chuck
but I think you are way out in left field on this one.

> especially if it's not a contest. Casual contacts that are dups
> would seem to be pretty common - it's nice to see when, and how
> many times you've QSO'd with someone. I don't really need something
> flashing at me the whole time I'm in a QSO.

It's not flashing "AT" you and it's pretty easy to ignore if you
choose to. It's there to let you know that you have this call in your
log - that's all - and it does it pretty well I think.

> Obviously, this has been up for discussion in the past, so I'm
> probably rehashing old ground for you.

No I can honestly say that no one else has taken the time to beat
this particular horse to death before.

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro at dogparksoftware.com
   www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com
     iChat AV:dogpark at mac.com