[Scons-dev] Using SHLIBVERSION fails on Solaris and probably all other unixes but Linux

Alexandre Feblot alexandre at feblot.fr
Fri Sep 19 09:30:06 EDT 2014

Hi,

as the title says, it fails with the following error:" IndexError: list
index out of range" in SCons/Tool/link.py.

The reason is that versionned shared lib seem to be handled properly for
unixes if PLATFORM=='posix', whereas on Solaris, it is detected as"sunos"
rather than "posix".

I tried to fix at SCons/Tool/link.py line 108: if platform == 'posix' or
platform == 'sunos':, but

   1. This is an ugly fix which does not take into account other unixes
   which probably fail the same way. In fact, 'posix' is not at the same
   meaning level as 'sunos'. Shouldn't PLATFORM be set to something like
   'linux' on linux, and a posix flag to be set for all posix platforms?
   2. This just fixes part of the issue. It now does create the lib with
   its version number, but not the 2 symlinks (and I don't really kow where to
   search for that. Any hint will be welcome).

Note: I'd be happy to fill a bug, but should this still be done on Tigris,
with ongoing migrations to new bug trackers (and I'm totally lost with the
current status of these migrations)?

Attached: the smallest example to reproduce the issue.