[Scons-dev] scons trunk is broken..

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Sun Apr 27 13:08:02 EDT 2014

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 12:54 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>wrote:

> I expect a big problem to be cross-python SConstructs. Do we have any

> instructions how to write these?

I'm not all that concerned about this. Most people will write SConscripts
for the python version they're using, whether it's 2 or 3. So those people
won't care at all. When the 2 users port to 3, they'll have more problems
than just their SConscripts to worry about; probably the SConscript changes
will be small compared to their other changes. And of course if people use
python3 features in their SConscripts, python2 users won't be able to use
them. Sure, there will be some things to keep in mind like unicode string
handling and print functions, but I bet a large majority of simple
SConscripts will "just work" or at least a simple 2to3 run will get them
close.

If we can create instructions like you're talking about, things to do or
things to avoid, and put those on the wiki, that would be excellent. We'll
probably have to have some experience before we can do that well though.

--
Gary