[Scons-dev] link.py

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Sun Apr 27 13:02:56 EDT 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 2014-04-23 at 19:17 +0200, Dirk Bächle wrote:

> […]

> > I'd like to answer this question, but it's just too cryptic for me.

> > Sorry, but I don't get you...it's not about what the linkers do, but how

> > the Tools set up the variables and command lines for them.

> Sorry about that. I found a reasonable work around for the problem.

> However I will work on it a bit more since there is not just one use

> case as there is with C and C++.

> Some time ago I was thinking about the C/C++/Fortran link problem (each

wants to use the linker its own way) and I thought there might be a nice
generalization: a SwitchAction. SwitchAction would be like the ListAction
we have today, but it would only execute one of the actions in the list,
depending on the value of a predicate (function or build variable). The
idea would be to make the main LinkAction into a SwitchAction, and
different tools could append their linker action to the list, and (somehow)
hook into the predicate to indicate when to use theirs. My hope was to
disentangle the linking stuff from the core of SCons with this.

If anyone's interested in picking it up, I believe I have a mostly-working
implementation of this somewhere.

--
Gary