[Scons-dev] Subprocess issue on Linux?

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Wed Apr 2 10:31:39 EDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 4:16 AM, Tom Tanner (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) <
ttanner2 at bloomberg.net> wrote:

> If you pass an array [ 'prog', '$TARGET', '$SOURCE' ] it doesn't execute a

> shell. Otherwise (passing a single string), it will examine for special

> characters, and if none are found it will split on white space and execute

> that, or it will pass that line to the shell.

> NB Yes, I realise this will potentially break things, but why execute a

> shell if you don't have to?

I don't think this would break anything. If the command has no shell
metachars (and we can be quite conservative about that), then executing it
directly vs. via a shell will be exactly the same, except for not needing
intervening shell process. In fact I thought SCons did this, many years
ago. I must be thinking of Perl though. :-) This technique can also be
used if a list is passed in; just check each word for shell metachars.

--
Gary