[Scons-dev] Why we need to release separate SCons3 for Python 3

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Fri Feb 22 14:35:14 EST 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Kenny, Jason L <jason.l.kenny at intel.com>wrote:

> On the Unicode side, I am not sure what the issue is. We have Unicode

> issue with python on windows today already, and these seem to be working

> fine. Given that I deal with the Unicode for our product here, I happy to

> look at this more, or help out. However there should be a major issue I

> believe with scons and Unicode.

I assume you mean there should NOT be a major issue.

We have in fact had issues with Unicode before, especially in SConf. What
encoding should we assume for stdout of a subprocess? Sometimes processes
check the locale and encode strings specifically for the locale, assuming
they are writing to a console (terminal) which will display them (and
sometimes they even check for a tty and do something different). If we
guess wrong for the locale of any given string from a subprocess, we may
get a decoding error which will throw an exception, or at least we will
mangle the text. This happened quite a bit a few years ago in SCons, so I
and others added some hacky code to work around it. But it never seemed
right. For one example, search the dev archives for " Is SCons really this
broken" (
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.scons.devel/9873).
Jason, you were part of that discussion at the time.

--
Gary