[Scons-dev] Formal proposal

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 05:25:23 EST 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 7:13 PM, Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com>wrote:

> Gary,

> I thought the idea was to warn about moving to 2.6 (or 2.7) on the next

> release?

Let's make this incremental. We don't know how many systems that rely on
2.5 is out there. The plan should be incremental with feasible steps and
revertible if something goes wrong. We can make releases faster - it is not
a problem to push progress forward, but only as soon as it is ready. If
we'll be to fast to then something bad can happen and we'll lose the train.

So my ideal Roadmap would be:

1. Remove Python 2.4 compatibility code first for 2.4.0 release
2. Split a parallel 3.x branch for porting tests and testing how it goes
3. As we touch the code - document current architecture and make a list of
weak points
4. Do separate SCons3 beta releases that runs on Python 3 only
5. Split 2.x into separate branch and make 3.x branch a mainline