[Scons-dev] Formal proposal

William Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Sat Feb 9 11:43:13 EST 2013

All,

On Feb 9, 2013, at 5:42 AM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 2013-02-09 at 11:41 +0000, Russel Winder wrote:

>> I propose that a 2.3.0 release is made forthwith (*) and that the floor

>> version of Python is then raised to 2.6. With appropriate notification

>> on the website front page.

> Of course if we made the floor version 2.7, then life gets a whole lot

> easier since 2.7 is getting stuff backported in.

Any reason not to skip 2.6?

I don't agree that it is essential to goto 3.x in the short term.
I don't think the community has really said that it's essential in the short term either from the previous email thread.

In my book (not speaking for SCons as a whole), it's a nice to have which will help some (of the very few) for whom installing a non 3.x python would be a difficulty.

I do think it's a good idea to get rid of a lot of the old python compatibility logic.
Getting to 2.7 is a nice step towards moving SCons forward with a goal of 3.x in the mid to longer term (IHMO)..

-Bill