[Scons-dev] [Issue 2881] scons cannot compile d code on windows

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Feb 6 09:05:59 EST 2013

Bill,

On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 12:58 -0800, William Deegan wrote:

> Russel,

> The substance of this bug seems to be:

> SCons can't find my D installed at a non-standard location.

This is true, and, as people are basically agreeing standard SCons
should behave in this form. The problem is that the D tools do not
behave as they should, the way C++ tools behave. Instead it tries to do
a compilation but without any tools set up. This is leading users into
the wrong line of thinking.

This led to me worrying about why the WhereIs stuff behaves
inconsistently with the rest of SCons by searching on the user PATH.

So SCons is inconsistent, it checks for command on the user path to
determine whether a command is available for a tool, but when it runs a
compilation it only uses the standard path. If I were tweeting in a bad
mood there would be a #fail somewhere around here :-)

> Followed by:

> You should fix it by propagating the users shell PATH value into SCons.

Which should be done in the user SConstruct not in the SCons core code
or plugin. I think there is a no contest on this.

> Although there may be issues with D on windows, I don't think the issue you are talking about match the substance of this bug filing.

> Do they?

No, but they are a consequence of it which is why I asked for an issue.
Sadly someone has picked up and run with the wrong problem.

> If so then I agree this bug should be reopened.

> If they do not, and you have some specifics then you or we should file a placeholder bug with each issue which makes sense to address separately.

I am now dithering, perhaps we should leave this bug as "not a bug" and
construct a new issue which is more obviously addressing a problem given
the input. I can't commit to any time for this for a few days.

> Hope that helps!

Anything that moves us on constructively helps, as your email has
done :-)

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net