[Scons-dev] Progress blockers

Kenny, Jason L jason.l.kenny at intel.com
Mon Feb 4 14:31:25 EST 2013

I am not going to say this is an easy problem to solve ( dealing with this in Parts, all the time)

Depending on how you view the "tool" to work I find that I need to test did tool X:
1) correctly detect that it does not exist
2) detect that it does exist
3) given that it does exist, is the environment correctly setup to build with the given tool.
4) I am a little more complex, as I have Parts support different version/targets platform combination. So testing different version selection is needed for me as well. ( My current headache is how to test for certain SDKs such as the NDK to make sure the test run only if this exists, without having to set up some super path before the tests runs, or binding to a certain version of the NDK)

If you setup for the different D tools is like the C++ cases, ie we have intelc, msvc, gcc, etc... then each case can be tested independently from each other. It could be done on a single machine with the D tools installed.
If this is a single D tool that deal with all cases. That would be hard to test, it would probably need lots of VM, so you could control which D compiler is being used.

I am only thinking that it might not be so hard given we have different tool files for the different D compiler cases. One machine for a given platform ( windows, linux, mac, etc) can test the exists cases, while on can deal with all cases of tools not existing.

Just some thoughts...
Jason