[Scons-dev] Qt support

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Mon Apr 15 03:13:22 EDT 2013

Hi Bill,

On 15.04.2013 04:11, Bill Deegan wrote:

> Greetings,

> SCons has always been (as much as possible) a batteries include tool.

> For me personally, and also from many questions on the mailing list

> and IRC, having mainstream tools not in the core confuses users. I

> consider QT to be a mainstream tool..

> I'd suggest the following:

> 1) deprecate qt, rename it qt3

> 2) integrate qt4 and qt5 into the core.

> Thoughts? I know I'm disagreeing with others, hopefully this isn't

> just bike sheding (Please call me on it if it is).

everything you say above makes sense to me. I don't need the Qt tools in
the core, but I don't need them external either. All I'd like to see is
a clear direction in which we are going, and you're offering one.
I'm a 100% for doing it like this, if no objections from other people
show up.

> That said, I think it would be a great idea to add non-mainstream

> tools as python packages distributed via pypi which would install into

> the core or in such a way that the core would find them.

I agree.

Regards,

Dirk