[Scons-dev] Extensions to the Tool subsystem...

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Thu Dec 20 14:14:41 EST 2012

Yeah, this is a general problem with Windows. You can't assume "C:\Program
Files (x86)" because of different drive names, and localizations. MSVC
does a lot of registry lookups so it's not all that hard if it goes in a
standard place like HKLM\Software\.

I think TeXlive just goes in c:\texlive\<YEAR> though, and doesn't write to
the registry. So maybe a simple loop through drive letters and years would
do it.

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 20.12.2012 18:51, Managan, Rob wrote:

>> [...]

>> Is there a similar set of paths on Windows that we should add to the

>> default? Or is there a place to look for a path when initializing a

>> specific tool that needs a given executable or set of executables?

> I'd say that, apart from guessing and probing standard paths like

> "C:\miktex", our only chance is accessing the Windows registry and trying

> to find an entry in the "AppPath" section for the executable in question.

> Dirk

Gary