[reportlab-users] No usage of recursiveGet/Set/DelAttr

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Tue Mar 1 10:33:56 EST 2022

We have discussed this.  How do we know that there is nobody out there
using the function?  Our graphics framework and object hierarchy are quite
nested, and so this function was quite useful to us and might have been to
others.   There are probably tens of thousands of projects using ReportLab
including many in-house ones we have no way to even know about.

Regrettably we did not have any kind of strict separation of external API
and internal details when we started, and many times in the last 20 years
we have 'tidied something up' and broken somebody else's application.
 We feel that unless something is actually broken, or there is a risk, it's
safer not to change things for the sake of change.

There is a more elegant implementation of recursiveSetAttr on
StackOverflow, but more elegant can also mean "harder to understand" so we
see no need to change it now.

Best Regards

Andy