[reportlab-users] Character placement off - bug or am I using it wrong?

ellie el at horse64.org
Sun Aug 21 01:42:31 EDT 2022

Thanks for your answer!
Sorry for responding to the wrong message here, but your e-mail sadly
didn't arrive for me while some others did, I'm not sure why.

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com wrote:
  >  How did you convert it to a TTF?  The font in the TeX library is an
  > OTF

There is also a TTF version which I used, sadly I can't attach it.
However, I noticed a screenshot alone works, so I attached that. Look at
the "Tw" in "Two" or all the commas, upper render is reportlab
placement, lower is with what should be with font kerning working
(although due to my hacky approach to override it, maybe some hinting or
other details isn't, so it's not 100% correct, just less wrong).

Given the kerning works with a different TTF library with the same font
file, I would assume it's kind of out of the question the font contains
it. That is why I'm wondering why it doesn't work with reportlab.

Is this a bug in reportlab then? Where can I report it with all the
files like the font attached? I assume people would kind of hope for
something like basic glyph placement in a PDF library to work, so maybe
a fix might be worth a consideration.