[reportlab-users] Semi-transparent gradient

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon Apr 4 09:11:46 EDT 2022

Hi Lele,

I think your logic would be correct, but I believe that the linearGradient functionality is ignoring the alpha as you
suspect.

I did not have any great part in the pdf canvas gradient code. However, I think the problem is in the color definitions
we are using that are derived from the input colours. I think that is done in canvas._normalizeColor which seems only to
care about the rgb values.

I seem to recall tha pdf transparency is supposed to apply to objects rather than colours.

I can certainly change the whole gradient using eg

c._setFillAlpha(0.7)

prior to calling c.linerGradient.