[reportlab-users] Symbol not found in flat namespace when running on macOS 12.0.1

Markus Gerards mail at markus-gerards.de
Mon Nov 15 08:12:01 EST 2021

Hello everybody,

I have issues running my Django application that has reportlab as an
indirect dependency from easy_thumbnails.
The error is:

Invalid template library specified. ImportError raised when trying to
load 'backend.templatetags.get_thumbnail':
dlopen(/Users/markusgerards/.pyenv/versions/myapp/lib/python3.9/site-packages/reportlab/graphics/_renderPM.cpython-39-darwin.so,
0x0002): symbol not found in flat namespace '_FT_Done_Face'

My environment is:

macOS 12.0.1 with XCode 13.1 installed
Python 3.9.7 within a virtual env (via Homebrew)
Reportlab 3.6.2 (as a dependency from easy_thumbnails 2.8)
Freetype 2.11.0 (via Homebrew)

I took a look into the problematic .so-file. Here is what otool says:

```
/Users/markusgerards/.pyenv/versions/myapp/lib/python3.9/site-packages/reportlab/graphics/_renderPM.cpython-39-darwin.so:
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1292.60.1)
```

I suspect freetype should be listed there as a load command, am I right?
Is it possible, that this fails due to some stricter checks for symbols
in recent XCode versions? When searching through the interwebs I
stumbled upon this issue:
https://github.com/openzfsonosx/openzfs/pull/75

Could it be, that reportlab has the same problem?

As I am no lib-genius I suspect that this has to be fixed by reportlab,
right?

Thanks!
Markus