[reportlab-users] deprecation warning

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Fri Mar 19 10:04:43 EDT 2021

Hi all.

I regret that we don't have the resources to endlessly rework our core
code and machinery because someone had a bright idea about coding
standards.  We are NOT working on most of it, most of the time,
because "it works"; and any time we make a pass through changing
things, things tend to break - often downstream in a build process or
a corporate customer's project.   So, our rule generally is to only
fix actual bugs.  Several times in the past, we have had developers
use some linting or coding standards tool, which had subtle effects
later on with customers.

Regarding the move to Github: I concede it's inevitable, and Mercurial
(a far superior system in terms of docs and comprehensibility IMHO
which has served us well for 15 years) has lost; but I don't want to
promise a definite timeline.  These changes always affect many other
downstream projects you cannot see, and cost us a huge amount of time;
 getting all our customers off Python 2.7 was enough of an ordeal!

Best Regards

Andy Robinson
ReportLab