[reportlab-users] deprecation warning

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Fri Mar 19 07:24:34 EDT 2021

On 2021-03-19 1:05 PM, Robin Becker wrote:
> How strange, I run all the tests in many pythons including 3.8.6 etc
> etc and don't see this warning; I'm just wondering if I need to excite
> it somehow. I run on linux mostly, but the appveyor is windows and the
> github actions include OS X.

 From the docs - What’s New In Python 3.9

"""

You should check for DeprecationWarning in your code

When Python 2.7 was still supported, a lot of functionality in Python 3
was kept for backward compatibility with Python 2.7. With the end of
Python 2 support, these backward compatibility layers have been removed,
or will be removed soon. Most of them emitted a|DeprecationWarning|
<https://docs.python.org/3.9/library/exceptions.html#DeprecationWarning>warning
for several years. For example, using|collections.Mapping|instead
of|collections.abc.Mapping|emits a|DeprecationWarning|
<https://docs.python.org/3.9/library/exceptions.html#DeprecationWarning>since
Python 3.3, released in 2012.

Test your application with the|-W|
<https://docs.python.org/3.9/using/cmdline.html#cmdoption-w>|default|command-line
option to see|DeprecationWarning|
<https://docs.python.org/3.9/library/exceptions.html#DeprecationWarning>and|PendingDeprecationWarning|
<https://docs.python.org/3.9/library/exceptions.html#PendingDeprecationWarning>,
or even with|-W|
<https://docs.python.org/3.9/using/cmdline.html#cmdoption-w>|error|to
treat them as errors.Warnings Filter
<https://docs.python.org/3.9/library/warnings.html#warning-filter>can be
used to ignore warnings from third-party code.

"""

Maybe they are running their program using 'python -W default'?

Frank Millman