[reportlab-users] Possible bug in ReportLab 3.5.68

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Jul 22 04:27:45 EDT 2021

On 21/07/2021 17:32, Tim Roberts wrote:
> Robin Becker wrote:
> That's very odd.  That would be an octal escape, not hex.  \200 would be 0x80 or decimal 128, which is a Unicode padding
> character. u-with-umlaut is \xFC or \374 or decimal 252, but in ISO-8859-1 and in Unicode.
>
> I wonder if this is a substitution from a failed character map encoding somewhere.

You are correct in the values the actual PDF that works had these bytes

/Name (Sonderfarbe "F<fc>rungslinien")

which can be decoded into unicode and then back into pdfdoc.

It looks like a failure somewhere in the production of the two pdfs, but the error shows up when another script using
reportlab processes them. I guess the OP should consider the producer process before we see if there's a bug in RL.