[reportlab-users] UC Accented character problem

Satchell Julian JSSATCHELL at qinetiq.com
Mon Jul 19 07:09:09 EDT 2021

We have been using Platypus / Reportlab to generate printable PDFs of questionnaire responses in a multi-language application. We use the stock Helvetica font.

Polish answers render with black squares for the non-ASCII characters, presumably because they lie outside the range of the stock font. In principle, we could also get answers in other European languages, like modern Greek, Maltese, and Bulgarian, which uses a Cyrillic character set, but we hit the problem with Polish first.

We could embed a font with a wider character range, like for example Free Sans. But by the time we have added Bold, Oblique and BoldOblique variants, we are putting in something like 2Mbytes of embedded data, increasing the file size by a factor of a hundred.

My (limited) understanding is that we want font subsetting, so that only data for the glyphs actually used is put in the file.

Does Reportlab support font subsetting? If so, are there examples of how to do it out there? I didn't see anything in the documentation.

Plan B is just to embed everything, but it seems inefficient.

Julian Satchell
Principal Eng/Tech/Sci

M 0777 2069998
D 01684 895003
jssatchell at QinetiQ.com<mailto:jssatchell at QinetiQ.com>

www.QinetiQ.com<https://www.qinetiq.com> | Our blog<https://www.qinetiq.com/blog> | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/qinetiq_2> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/QinetiQ>

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are
intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this email,
you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor
copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you
believe you have received this email in error. QinetiQ retains
personal data relating to our customers and partners for the
purposes of conducting a business relationship, communicating
and marketing to them as well as to providing invitations to
upcoming events.
Please see our Privacy Notice ( https://www.qinetiq.com/Privacy-Policy )
for further information.  In accordance with our Privacy Notice, you
have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. QinetiQ may
monitor email traffic data and also the content of email for
the purposes of security. QinetiQ Limited (Registered in England
& Wales: Company Number: 3796233) Registered office: Cody Technology
Park, Ively Road, Farnborough, Hampshire, GU14 0LX  https://www.qinetiq.com.