[reportlab-users] Issues rendering Burmese/Myanmar in PDFs

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Jan 7 16:51:23 EST 2021

Not sure exactly what the google group is, but here is where we try and answer questions.

I'm not an expert, but I suspect this is the same issue we have had in the past with Thai diacritics etc etc.

The issue may be caused by the way the TTF is embedded in the PDF. To avoid very large PDF's we embed subsets; that may
alter the way that the text is represented in the PDF content stream. additionally we may be losing something in the
font data that's important for positioning in particular vertical metrics. I think the original contribution was for
Latin type fonts where that information is not required.

I think PDF can represent these glyphs properly, but then the renderer application also needs to do the right thing.

To fix this we would need to find a different way to use the font in the PDF to avoid the problems we have in our ttf
subset algorithm.